Zapier enables Hopper HQ users to publish posts to Instagram through their service. The advantages of this are:
- Much faster posting (seconds vs minutes)
- Much better quality (Instagram upload your original image)
- Much much more stable connection (no more worrying if your post is ready 🙌)
However, there are several limitations at this time that should be known BEFORE proceeding:
- You must have a Zapier account (a free one will do)
- Currently only single image posts are supported (no carousels or videos!)
With that said, let's connect Zapier!
Hopper HQ links to Zapier using a "Hopper HQ Token". This is a long list of letters and numbers that is unique to the User or Team. If you have multiple social network accounts, you will only need to generate one Token to be used for all accounts in the same team or user dashboard.
To generate a token:
- Log into app.hopperhq.com
- Go to the Instagram account you wish to connect
- Go to the settings for the account
- In the Zapier Connection settings, click on the Generate Hopper HQ Token. Note that if a Token is already shown, there is no need to generate a new one.
You are now ready to connect to Zapier!
Connecting to Hopper HQ via Zapier
1. First of all, you need to head to your account's Connection Settings and press the 'Refresh Connection' button, to make sure your Facebook permissions are up to date.
2. Next, you'll need to generate a token for Zapier by hitting the 'Generate Hopper HQ Token' button in your Connection Settings - if you haven't already done so.
3. Copy the Hopper HQ Token shown and press the 'Create Zap' button to open Zapier to create your first Hopper HQ Zap!
4. If you don't already have an account you will need to create a free one, or log into your existing Zapier account.
5. First, you'll need to sign in to Hopper HQ and connect your account to Zapier.
6. When you hit 'Sign in to Hopper HQ' you will be asked to enter the token from your Connection Settings in Hopper HQ, paste your token into the field below and hit 'Yes, Continue'.
7. Once you've logged into Hopper HQ, you'll be taken to a page like this and need to hit 'Continue'.
8. Open the 'Instagram Account' menu and select the account you wish to connect, then press 'Continue'.
If you don't see the right account appear, make sure it's an Instagram account and that it's connected to the Hopper HQ account you're actively using - for example, if you use Hopper HQ as part of a team, connect from the team account rather than your personal dashboard.
9. Once you've pressed 'Test Trigger' we'll present you with an example post and you just need to hit 'Continue' to move onto the next step.
10. Search for 'Instagram for Business (BETA)' and make sure you select 'Publish Photo' from the choice of actions.
11. You'll then need to sign in to your Instagram Business account and will need to follow the steps outlined in Instagram, similar to those outlined here.
You will only need to do this the first time you use Zapier.
12. Make sure you've logged into the account that is the owner of the Instagram account you're creating a Zap for and hit 'Continue'.
13. You'll need to configure this Zap by setting the fields to match below:
- Photo → Hopper HQ: Image URL
- Caption → Hopper HQ: Caption
- Tagged Users → Hopper HQ: Tagged Users
- Location → Hopper HQ: Location Name
15. Once those fields have been set, hit 'Continue' and 'Skip Test' again - this is important, otherwise Zapier will publish the test post to your Instagram feed.
16. Press 'Done Editing' and you're good to go - flip the switch to turn your Zap on! ✨
If you like, you can rename your Zap in the top left corner and when you post now from Hopper HQ it'll be published in seconds! 🎉
If you have any issues with any of these steps, get in touch with a member of the support team and include any screenshots of error messages within Zapier.