The benefits of linking your Instagram account to a Facebook page are huge.
The most popular reason people want to connect their accounts is to streamline their social media strategy by using a scheduling tool like Hopper HQ.
Hopper HQ allows you to create and plan your posts in advance, so that whilst you work, sleep, eat and play, Hopper HQ will be publishing your flawless content automatically ✨
In this article we are going to cover:
How to connect your Instagram and Facebook in the Instagram app
If your Instagram account is a Personal or Creator account type:
1. Go to your profile on the Instagram app and tap the ⚙️ Settings icon
2. Tap Account, and then tap Switch to Professional account.
3. Follow the workflow here introducing the benefits of Professional accounts.
4. Select the category of your Instagram account from the list. Tap done.
5. Check the Business box. Tap Next.
6. Review your contact info. Tap Next.
7. Connect to Facebook or connect to your Facebook Page if Facebook is already set up with your Instagram account. If you haven't got a Facebook Page set up, simply tap the 'Create a Page' link and you can set one up easily within the Instagram app.
If your Instagram account is already a Business account type:
1. On the Instagram mobile app, head to your profile page.
2. Press 'Edit Profile'.
3. Under Public business information, press 'Page'.
4. Here, you'll be able to follow the instructions to connect or create a Facebook page for your Instagram account.
Great! Now you're connected, head to Hopper HQ to save time on your social media management ✅
How to connect your Instagram and Facebook on the Facebook website
1. Open your Facebook Page.
2. Select Settings from the left menu.
3. Select Instagram.
4. To add an Instagram account to your Page, select Connect account. Make sure that the "Allow access to Instagram messages in Inbox" is toggled on and then click Continue. Enter your Instagram account's username and password, and select Log in.
If you do not have a business account, you will be prompted to convert your personal account.
Voilà! Did you know Hopper HQ has a 14 day free trial for new users?
Common hurdles and quick fixes to account connection difficulty.
You need to remove Hopper HQ from your Business Integrations
If you're not seeing the option to connect your account via Facebook, it may be that you need to remove Hopper HQ from your business integrations to start again.
1. Log into your Facebook account and head to this page and find Hopper HQ in the list.
2. Once you've checked Hopper HQ hit the remove button and head back to your dashboard to try connecting the account again.
If that doesn't fix the problem, one of the follow issues could be preventing you from connecting your business profile successfully:
You’re not admin for the Facebook page
In order to connect your Instagram and Facebook, enabling analytics and further great features on your Hopper HQ account, your Instagram must be a business account type and your personal Facebook profile will need to be set as an admin for the Facebook page. Only people with admin permissions will be able to connect via Facebook.
If you can’t see the Instagram you’re trying to connect appear on Hopper HQ, it may be that you do not have admin permissions for the Facebook page. This is really easy to check.
How to check your page role
1. To check your page role settings, head over to the Facebook page connected to your Instagram business profile. Click on settings at the top of your page, then navigate to the page roles tab in the left-hand menu.
2. Ensure that your personal Facebook profile is listed as an admin for the page - any other permissions are not sufficient.
If you do not hold an admin role, you will need to contact the page owner and ask them to grant you an admin role, or alternatively, you can have them connect the account to Hopper HQ instead.
Your Instagram isn’t connected to Facebook
To connect to Facebook you must have an Instagram business account type. If you don’t have a business profile, don’t worry - it’s super easy to convert to one and you can view our step-by-step guide here:
How to check your profile is linked to Facebook
1. To check whether your account is connected to a Facebook page, log into Instagram on your iOS or Android device and head to your profile. On either device, navigate to your personal page and tap Edit Profile. Here under Public business information you will see if there is a Page connected. You may need to confirm this connection.
You should see a Facebook page listed. If there is no page listed, this means that your Instagram business profile is not correctly linked to a Facebook page - this can happen if you connect your account via Facebook, rather than Instagram (see steps below).
You set your account up on Facebook, not Instagram
If you set your Instagram business profile up via Facebook - rather than by using Instagram on your mobile device - it could have created some connectivity issues preventing you from successfully connecting your account on Hopper HQ.
This can be easily remedied and will involve you reverting to a personal profile, before returning your account to a business profile on Instagram. We’ve outlined the steps below, but if you’re still having connection issues please feel free to reach out to support.
How to revert to a personal profile
1. To switch back to a personal profile, ready to revert back to a business profile via Instagram, in your Settings, tap Account, tap Switch account type, and tap Switch to personal account.
2. Follow the instructions outlined in this article to convert your Instagram account back into a business profile, via the official app.
Once you've reverted to a business profile, try connecting your account again in Hopper HQ - if you need a refresher on how to do so, here it is! 🙂
Your account is in review with Facebook
If, when attempting to refresh your account's connection with Facebook, you are presented with an error message that looks something like this:
it may be that Facebook have placed your account into review. This means you only have access to some features across Instagram and Facebook, so may prevent you from connecting to third-party services.
If your account is in 'review', you'll see this in your page settings (on Facebook) and will need to action any alerts to successfully re-connect to Hopper HQ, following this process:
1. To find out whether your account is in review with Facebook, login to your Facebook profile and go to the page settings for the affected account, then to your Instagram settings - in the left-hand menu of your Facebook page settings.
If your account is in review, you will see this 'Review Account Connection' warning appear:
2. To resolve this issue, press the 'Review Connection' button and follow the steps outlined in Facebook. When you see this pop-up appear:
head back to your Hopper HQ dashboard and try to reconnect again.
Now you're connected, what are you waiting for? ✨
Any issues, please reach out to our support team and we'll check for any known issues with Facebook's system.