"If I'm trying to connect to Instagram, why am I being taken to Facebook?”
It's a great question and one we get asked frequently. Back in 2012, Facebook acquired Instagram and so now Instagram work using Facebook's Graph API - this is why you must connect your business profile by logging into Facebook first.
Connecting your business account to Hopper HQ can sometimes be a little more complicated than we'd like, so we've put together this document to help guide you through the errors you might encounter.
Alternatively, if this is your first time connecting your Instagram account to Hopper HQ via Facebook, please check out this article for a step-by-step guide.
You need to remove Hopper HQ from your Business Integrations
If you're not seeing the option to connect your account via Facebook, it may be that you need to remove Hopper HQ from your business integrations to start again.
1. Log into your Facebook account and head to this page and find Hopper HQ in the list.
2. Once you've checked Hopper HQ hit the remove button and head back to your dashboard to try connecting the account again.
If that doesn't fix the problem, one of the follow issues could be preventing you from connecting your business profile successfully:
You’re not admin for the Facebook page
In order to connect your Instagram and enable analytics, your account must be set up as a business profile on Instagram and your personal Facebook profile will need to be set as admin for the linked business Facebook page. Only people with an admin role will be able to connect via Facebook, enabling analytics and other features.
If you can’t see the Instagram you’re trying to connect appear on Hopper HQ, it may be that you do not have admin permissions for the Facebook page. This is really easy to check yourself, simply head over to your Facebook page.
How to check your page role
1. To check your page role settings, head over to the Facebook page connected to your Instagram business profile. Click on settings at the top of your page, then navigate to the page roles tab in the left-hand menu.
2. You will need to make sure that your personal Facebook profile is listed as an admin for the page - any other permissions are not sufficient. If you do not hold an admin role, you will need to contact the page owner and ask them to grant you an admin role, or alternatively, you can have them connect the account to Hopper HQ instead.
Your Instagram isn’t connected to Facebook
To use analytics and view your live feed on Hopper HQ, you must have an Instagram business profile as these features are only available to business users currently. If you don’t have a business profile, don’t worry - it’s super easy to convert to one and you can view our step-by-step guide here:
How to check your profile is linked to Facebook
1. To check whether your account is connected to a Facebook page, log into Instagram on your iOS or Android device and head to your profile. On either device, navigate to your personal page and tap Edit Profile. Here under Public business information you will see if there is a Page connected. You may need to confirm this connection.
You should see a Facebook page listed. If there is no page listed, this means that your Instagram business profile is not correctly linked to a Facebook page - this can happen if you connect your account via Facebook, rather than Instagram (see steps below).
You set your account up on Facebook, not Instagram
If you set your Instagram business profile up via Facebook - rather than by using Instagram on your mobile device - it could have created some connectivity issues preventing you from successfully connecting your account on Hopper HQ, in order to enable analytics.
This can be easily remedied and will involve you reverting to a personal profile, before returning your account to a business profile on Instagram. We’ve outlined the steps below, but if you’re still having connection issues please feel free to reach out to support.
How to revert to a personal profile
1. To switch back to a personal profile, ready to revert back to a business profile via Instagram, in your Settings, tap Account, tap Switch account type, and tap Switch to personal account.
2. Follow the instructions outlined in this article to convert your Instagram account back into a business profile, via the official app.
Once you've reverted to a business profile, try connecting your account again in Hopper HQ - if you need a refresher on how to do so, here it is! 🙂
Your account is in review with Facebook
If, when attempting to refresh your account's connection with Facebook, you are presented with an error message that looks something like this:
it may be that Facebook have placed your account into review. This means you only have access to some features across Instagram and Facebook, so may prevent you from connecting to third-party services.
If your account is in 'review', you'll see this in your page settings (on Facebook) and will need to action any alerts to successfully re-connect to Hopper HQ, following this process:
1. To find out whether your account is in review with Facebook, login to your Facebook profile and go to the page settings for the affected account, then to your Instagram settings - in the left-hand menu of your Facebook page settings.
If your account is in review, you will see this 'Review Account Connection' warning appear:
2. To resolve this issue, press the 'Review Connection' button and follow the steps outlined in Facebook. When you see this pop-up appear:
head back to your Hopper HQ dashboard and try to reconnect again.
This should fix any issues preventing you from re-connecting to Hopper HQ, but in the event this doesn't resolve the issue, reach out to our support team and we'll check for any known issues with Facebook's system.